Saturday, October 25, 2008

While I'm At It...

Now that I've remembered how to do this (for today :) I want to add something that I was thinking about in church a week or two ago. I am increasingly aware of how blessed I am, so I decided to make my Top Ten Things I Am Thankful For list...

10. Opportunities to learn and grow. They are all around me...in the form of callings, challenges and problems, people in my life, my work, books to read, etc. etc. I hope I can always have a desire to learn and grow (more of the anti-crumbly campaign!!)
9. My job, and Brant's job and all of my family members' jobs. How blessed we are to be able to work and earn a living and provide for our needs. So many don't have that.
8. My home. I love my home because it feels safe and comfortable. I love walking in the door!
7. My friends. What would I do without all of my wonderful friends who are always there? When I need to cry , laugh, complain, celebrate, plan a wedding, eat lunch...they are the best therapy ever!
6. My health. This makes it possible for me to enjoy and accomplish all the other things in my life. I try to take care of my health (anti-crumbly campaign!!). I am not always doing the right things, but the effort is real. And thanks, Mom and Dad, for good genes!
5. My adorable, smart, fun grandchildren...Alexis, David, Lily, Joe, Evelyn, Sarah, Jacob, Anders and Emery. They make all that parenting worthwhile!!
4. My wonderful, good, talented, faithful and loving children...Jolie, Keri, Meagan, and Scott. I couldn't (overall) ask for better children (though there have been moments...:) I love the way they approach life, with courage, hard work, willingness to struggle through problems, striving to keep their covenants, supporting each other through the happy times and the hard times, their willingness to serve, the love and respect they give to their parents...I could go on. I am also thankful for three excellent sons-in-law who love and honor my daughters. And I am thankful for the great parents they all strive to be. I am also confident that someday I will have a daughter-in-law to love!
3. My husband and eternal companion, Brant. He is truly one of the kindest, most patient people on the planet. He has been more than patient with me for 35 years as I have struggled to "become". I know that hasn't been easy, but he has only been loving and cheerful through it all. I love him! He is also a great father, who has been strong where I have been weak, who has been wise when I have been...unwise, patient when I have been a raving lunatic! What more could I ask for?
2. Answered prayers. I haven't always, and still don't always, realize when the Lord answers my prayers. They are often not answered in the way I would like, but they are always answered in the way that is best for me, and for those for whom I pray. I often don't see that until after the fact. But I know that prayers are answered.
1.The Gospel of Jesus Christ, which gives meaning and purpose and understanding to all of the above. It is the center of who I am and all that I do.

I hope that I can show my gratitude for all of my blessings in the way that I live my life...realizing that I am still a work in progress, too.

3 comments:

Keri said...

what an awesome top 10. I don't think I could think of anything better to add to that...perhaps I should cut and paste it into my blog! Ha Ha.

Owen's Mommy said...

Val that was really nice. I usually don't have time to read a post if it's longer than a sentance...but I am glad I read yours. I was hoping Mike and I would have made it to at least number 4, but we'll move past it!

Coleen said...

What a great job with your top 10.
You have inspired me to come up with my own. I read a quote (hope I get it right),recently from Jeffrey R. Holland,
Some blessings come soon, some blessings come late, some blessings don't come until heaven, but blessings, come...